Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Fremont Neighborhood Council Meeting

I attended my first meeting of the Fremont Neighborhood Council as a board member last night. It was an interesting meeting, and not surprisingly, there is a lot going on in the neighborhood! We received updates about a new affordable housing development that is being built in conjunction with CHHIP (Capitol Hill Housing Improvement Program) on an old City of Seattle site; traffic calming proposals for 36th Street on either side of the Troll; and we heard from a representative of the Wallingford Neighborhood Council about a proposal to convert an old King County Metro building just northwest of Gasworks Park into an "aquatic center promoting the creative use of water in Seattle's Urban landscape." I also heard in passing that Suzie Burke is trying to get a passenger only ferry from Kirkland to Fremont and has created a North Lake Union planning advisory board to make it happen. I will look into this and post more here when (and if) I find any information.

I gave my report on the Fremont Bridge Approach replacement project and suggested that we craft a letter to the SDOT and the City Council outlining our concerns. After the meeting I spoke with Candace Barroga and she said the Fremont Chamber of Commerce shares the same concerns I discussed and we are planning on collaborating in some fashion to present a unified front to the City. I'll post the letter here once it's been finalized and agreed upon by the FNC Board.

No comments: