Monday, January 07, 2008

Urban Nature


As I was riding my shiny new cruiser to work today along the Burke-Gilman, I heard several gulls calling in a most unusual fashion--far more staccato and urgent. I figured there must be something getting them excited, so I looked around and sure enough, percehd on a leafless maple tree about 10-12 feet directly above the trail was a sharp-shinned hawk! I stopped my bike about 20 feet away and watched him a bit. He seemed completely unperturbed by me, and seemed to be more interested in monitoring the dumpsters behind Fred Meyer, where there is typically a fairly large aggregation of European starlings picking through the food scraps. I wish him (her?) well, and am thankful for the opportunity to observe such a beautiful animal right in the middle of the city.

(This is not the actual hawk I saw, but a photo I borrowed from Philosophical Karen)

No comments: