Friday, January 12, 2007

A "Cronkite Moment" for Global Warming?

On Monday morning I was listening to NPR on the way back from the Ballard Pool (yes, this was one of those rare occasions where I was actually driving a car, which only enhances the substantial irony of this post). They were interviewing Bob Seger, who has just released a new album. I'm not exactly a fan of his music, but I share a certain working class affinity with the man. I was born in his home state of Michigan, and many of my extended family members worked (or, in some cases, are still working for) one of the Big Three automakers in Detroit and the surrounding cities. But what really caught my attention was the subject of one of his songs, "Between":

World keeps getting hotter
Ice falls in the sea
We buy a bigger engine
and say it isn't me.


This is a pretty significant statement coming from the guy who wrote the song "Like A Rock," which became one of Chevy's most famous advertising slogans. What's more, Seger gave major kudos to Al Gore for spreading the word about global climate change, and it was right about that time my jaw dropped completely to the floor.

If Bob Seger, American Classic Rock Icon, has seen the light, perhaps there's hope for the rest of the country?

No comments: