Thursday, January 18, 2007

Two Cool Tools

Every once in awhile I find some really cool tools that make my job a lot easier and/or interesting. Here are two, one from last week, and one from this week:

The first is Light Box, a bit of javascript that does really neat stuff with images on the web. Thanks to Jon Stahl for bringing it to my attention. I used this for the portfolio section on the CORE GIS site. It's kinda hard to explain what it does, just go check it out.

The second one is a very handy GPL PDF splitter called PDF Split and Merge. I often have cause to generate large PDFs, which need to be split into individual pages or chunks of pages for layout using InDesign or some other graphics software. I am somewhat mystified by the exclusion of this apparently obvious feature from Adobe Acrobat, but thank goodness someone solved the problem--for free!

Maybe there are others out there who would also benefit from these handy tools.

No comments: