Monday, September 28, 2009

Hops!



Last year I planted two Cascade hops plants in our backyard, and this spring I planted rhizomes for 3 more Cascades, 1 Chinook and 1 Centennial. The vines grew well, particularly the two oldest, but we also got substantial production from two of this season's Cascade vines. In total, I think I harvested about 6.5 pounds of hops (this total is approximate because although I was fairly meticulous about weighing towards the beginning of the harvest, other pressing matters prohibited me from weighing every bag that came through the door). We borrowed a food dehydrator from one of the Seattle Farm Co-op members, I dried the hops, and froze them. Last week I brewed my first batch of beer with the dried hops, the results should be testable within about 3 weeks.

No comments: