Friday, September 11, 2009

On the Importance of Swimming


I realized the other day how misrepresentative of our daily lives our photo collection is. We tend to photograph the unusual, infrequent, exotic, and celebratory, while neglecting the events, hobbies and pasttimes that consume most of our lives (how many people take pictures of themselves washing dishes, or folding laundry?) This got me thinking about swimming. Since Amy taught me how to swim properly--as opposed to the I'm-not-really-going-to-drown style of swimming I excelled at previously--it has been an absolutely critical part of my life. I swim 2-3 times a week, and it provides exercise, meditation, and a remarkable transformation of my state of mind. Above all, it is where I solve problems and puzzle through personal conundrums, but not by thinking about them overtly. The solutions tend to come in a state of consciousness I think of as "swim thoughts" a sort of thinking-without-thinking. It's hard to describe to non-swimmers; but I've heard runners refer to something called"the zone" which I think is quite similar.

In any event, today I actaully brought the camera and took a picture of the pool I swim in so frequently. One of these days I will get someone to take a picture of me swimming in the pool, but today I felt like it would be kind of weird and imposing to ask my fellow swimmers. In any event, here is where I spend a lot of quality time--my lane is the farthest on the right.

No comments: